Monday, August 24, 2009

More Vacation posts

Now that I got all the pics uploaded from my camera I can put up some more posts about the vacation. The chicken on Monday turned out amazing. Clint commented that it's the best chicken he has ever had. He also mentioned that it had a good balance of dry and juicy. Whatever that means. Maybe he could leave a comment explaining that paradox.

Now that chicken was awesome. We had so much meat and made so much food it's no wonder I gain a ton of weight.

Once the chicken came off, on went the chuck roll. This is like making pulled pork but with beef. This one was 12 .lbs again way too much for 9 people.


Clint may have a picture of the finished product. This was an awesome smoke. We will have eaten it on Tuesday at around 5 after tubing down the creek.

The creek runs quite a ways down the mountain into the the Tuckaseigee river. We loaded everyone up in the van, tubes and all.

Nine people and nine tubes. It takes about an hour and a half to ride from the top to our campground. There were a few nice rapids but most of us got hung up on the way down on rocks in shallow water. Very fun. I don't have pics because we couldn't ride the tube down with the camera without getting it wet. Duh!!. BTW I tried to wear orange all week.

1 comment:

  1. Wow King of Bother, looks like you had a great time at whatever the hell that is.

    I too hope to go on vacation soon. Hopefully I will be able to include the pursuit of my culinary dream as well by combining my love of skydiving with pie making. I make delicious pies. Banana Pies, apple pies, Boston cream pies, etc. and I believe making them at 190 mph with a trailing altitude of 107 feet per second will only add to the enjoyment. I can only imagine how they will taste once I’m able to cook them on my mini propane grill after the shoot opens.

    It's funny you mention that you enjoy wearing lots of orange. I find orange a very soothing color to wear. Not only is it great for making pies in, but it also aids search teams attempting to locate mangled bodies when they get blown off course (trying to add spices into their Rhubarb at 900 ft).

    I can understand your friend Clint’s comment on “the balance between dry and juicy”. With my hobby, I find the same is true about pies.

    Pro tip: First you peel back the flaps of pastry, stuffing the pie with something tangy and juicy. Certainly this can be fruit but don’t forget you can use anything… even cream. Sometimes I find cream will fill the pie better the more you beat it during prep.

    WARNING If using nuts: Do not be surprised if your nuts have enlarged as some tend to do this when being soaked in the pie’s juices.

    After stuffing your pie, carefully seal it up tight and shove it in the rear of the oven. This will insure that your first bite is a bit dry and flaky on the outside, while the juicy goodness burst into your mouth.

    Be sure and clean up your area when done. Nothing worse than a sticky messy area.

    Thanks for sharing your trip. Perhaps I too should post pics of my cream pies when I’m back.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me